Saturday 24 January 2015

Worse Than Death

 

Okay, I was suppose to blog about this movie a few days ago - but I was binging on Arrow series, so I was occupied. Anyway, this movie, 'I' by Shankar - to me, personally, it wasn't up to mark, but it did much better in relative comparison to other Tamil movies. Since it has been a few days, and my memories are already fading, I shall not talk much about it, otherwise my facts might not be accurate.

The most important thing I would like to mention is the technique of revenge. Finally, they have embraced the Korean art of revenge. They finally understood that death, in fact, is a liberation instead of a punishment. To be honest, this is the first Tamil movie I'm watching, that did not use death as a revenge. The iconic phrase was 'athukum mela', which means 'worse' - as in, the punishment is going to be worse than death itself. All this was good, but as usual, just good ideas without proper delivery would mean nothing. 

The revenge, was focused on torture elements, but it wasn't actually worse than death. On top of that, some elements were not accurate - medically. The punishment for Osma Jasmine, will eventually wear off, because the androgenic hormones were introduced externally. She did not have metabolic problem, which meant, if she stopped using those creams, the hirsutism will go away. Also, for the bee sting punishment - if you are allergic to it, you either die from anaphylaxis, or you swell up here and there and get better afterwards. He was taken to the hospital, which meant he was almost definitely going to get better. I wasn't really sure what was the punishment outcome that was aimed for the dog bite - scabies perhaps? Even for that, he simply switched the medications. Once the medications are cleared out of your system - all symptoms will wear off. Probably the only punishment that was rather acceptable was burnt-not-to-death.That will stick with you and it will be painful as hell.

On other elements, such as the setting scenery and clothing were really good. A.R Rahman, tried a couple of new genres for the songs in this movie, which sadly I could not appreciate. Nevertheless, he is very talented. About the acting, I never can understand what is it with the 'innocent' role. I think, some people like these 'innocent' people, that can be easily cheated. Maybe they think they are cute. The role that Vikram took on as the innocent guy from a small village - is really kinda annoying. This is not the first. There are plenty of other actors and movies with these roles. Anyway, it was interesting to see a girl using a guy for a change, in a Tamil movie. It was less patriarchal, contrary to the popular notion in Tamil movies. Finally the make-up was really really good, because for once, I could not identify the actor's face after the make up. I could not see Vikram, in the post infected face. I'm not even going to talk about the kyphosis and the influenza virus. I'll leave that to you! See ya!


No comments:

Post a Comment