Sunday 25 January 2015

Day Is Done



Okay, I can't believe I accidentally watched two biography movies in a row. Yesterday was The Imitation Game, and today I watched American Sniper. Obviously, I don't read up about these movies before watching them. I'm just watching all these movies after watching the nominees for Oscars.

I really dig archers and snipers. They are like the coolest people on earth. So this movie is about a sniper, a very lethal one it seems. Bradley Cooper played that role. I think he played it pretty well. Especially the parts when he came home but was emotionally detached from his family as his entire mind and soul was at the battlefield.

The Real Chris Kyle

In comparison to The Imitation Game, since they are both biographic movies, American Sniper was much better, I almost teared up a couple of times. Cooper's wife played her role really well, and some scenes were perfectly acted out and not overdone. No scene was too long in the movie - the battles during each tours to Iraq and the time spent at home after each tour were equally balanced and the emotions here and there were delivered adequately. The battles were not like two big groups of people running into each other with swords. These battles were subtle - as they clear each block on the street. The kills and hits were unpredictable and probably that's how it really is in the battlefield.

Apparently, Chris Kyle wrote an autobiography - American Sniper. I doubt I'm going to actually read the book. However, the plot of the movie was not too deep. It portrayed the difficulties and challenges he had to go through as a soldier. I'm still not too sure how I feel about soldiers having a family. I have watched a couple of movies of these kind, where there's a conflict of interest  the family or the troop. Sometimes it annoys me that knowing they are going to have difficulties in balancing them both, they still want to make another human being's life difficult. Other times, I feel - they are human beings too, and they deserve a chance. Probably I'd blog about my stand on that some day. As for today, I was happy the Cooper's wife did not give up on him although she finally stooped to blackmailing him after having a second kid. Blackmail in the sense that, she and the two kids might not be around the next time he came back. At first she was so supportive I hoped she stayed the same throughout, but eventually everybody breaks I guess. Sometimes, we aren't as strong as we think we are. 

Nevertheless, he did quit after four tours to Iraq and came back to her arms - however the end of his life was rather tragic and unexpected. Not everybody who goes to the battlefield, dies at the battlefield. One could get cancer, but die of a motor vehicle accident any day before the cancer kills him. Some of the scenes in this movie were rather violent, especially 'The Butcher'. Perhaps they wanted us to hate him enough, and make us want to snipe his head. The scene of Cooper taking out the Iraqi sniper at an almost ridiculous range, was actually destroyed - for me. I don't get why they have to do it in slow motion. I really dislike slow motion scenes. I actually enjoy it being real. Some other movies, take their fighting scenes in slow motion like as if, they are trying to show off their video editing skills. Thank god, movies like The Dark Knight, and recently I have been watching Arrow, none of the stunts were in slow motion. For this movie, there was only one slow motion scene and it was during the most important scene of the movie - and it was really disappointing. 

Ignoring that scene, I really enjoyed the movie filled with emotion and heart throbbing moments, because you could get shot anywhere anytime, without even facing your killer. This is a must watch movie, so please go watch it if you are reading this. Have a great week people!

No comments:

Post a Comment