Wednesday 29 October 2014

The Adam-Black-Casper Effect

Every kind of relationship demands a certain amount of loyalty, and in most friendships there's bound to be an exchange of information we frequently call 'secrets'. Why do people gossip? 

I assume, and I will always have this assumption; people generally have good intentions, or better phrased, their intentions are less likely to be purely evil. For me, people who do bad things, can be categorized into two categories. One, the people that have a background story to tell, and two, the psychiatric patients. There's no way I'm gonna convict a psychiatric patient, cause I love them all in all. So for the people who have a story to tell, I'll lend a ear. They probably want revenge with a prepared justification speech in their mind. Someone just needs to listen to them and give them a hug. There is of course another type of species, the people who just wanna watch the world burn. However, I kind of consider them as psychiatric patients as well. So I'm fine with all you ridiculous human beings out there. 

Making that assumption, I can't blame people who gossip. I'm just trying to bail out those people who have 'no choice' but to spread the good news. After deep analysis, I found a circumstance that promotes gossiping. Lets say there are three people, A,B and C. Erm, wait. Using letters can be annoying. I'm gonna name them. Adam, Black, and Casper? Yea, that's cool. So the situation is such that, Adam is friends with Black and Casper, but Black and Casper are not friends. The problem is, Adam, Black and Casper are in the similar social circle, wherever it may be, college or work. So there'll be a sleepover day where Adam and Black will have a therapy session and presidential secrets will be exchanged. Then there'll be another day where Adam and Casper will hangout and Casper will pull out the friendship card. At that point in time, Adam will feel subconsciously closer to Casper, and compounded with Casper's curiosity, Adam will pour out stuff about Black to Casper. It's not that Adam had any intention of watching Black burn (haha black burn? thats funny, he's already black), its just that, if you do a cross sectional study, Adam only feels close to one person at that point in time. Adam will only feel closer to the person he is currently with.

I like psychiatry and their ridiculous nomenclature of effects. So I'm going to give this a name as well. I'm going to call this situation The Adam-Black-Casper Effect, hence the title. This effect can easily happen especially if you are in situation like mine. My medical school groupings are in constant motion. Its like my University is using the modified version of Divide and Rule strategy, where the division is continuous, hence no real group of friends are formed. Even the continents of the earth weren't the same a thousand years ago. A group of friends is referred to a circle of friends. Its supposed to be a complete circle. If its broken looking like an Omega of Friends, there's gonna be inevitable leakage of information. 

So if you have different friends in a similar social circle, ask yourself today, where does your loyalty lie? No one servant, can serve two masters.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment