Friday 20 February 2015

Love Loop

 

Hey there! LOL wth. What kinda opening sentence was that? Nvm, I'm leaving it there. Yesterday I watched this Tamil movie. Anegan. Yes I know, it's Chinese New Year and all, and I haven't even watched Kingsman. I wanna watch Dragon Blade too. Btw, is John Cusack lost or something? Apparently, the showtimes for Kingsman wasn't appropriate and Dragon Blade wasn't being shown at my place. So yea. Here I was. Turns out, I loved it. Finally a love story (a tamil love story), that I did not puke to. Well, there has been others that are good, but not of recent. 

The story starts off in 1962 Burma. There's a couple - well Dhanush and the unknown-new-very-pretty-actress which falls in love. The usual happens - dad objects it, and kills Dhanush. The death was pretty epic. It was titanic-ish with the ship and all, but this time, they actually took the jump. Just in time, the dad shot Dhanush' head and clavicle. So, she was alive, but since he was shot, she just hugged him underwater and they died together there. Till now they movie was kinda like - mehhh. But then, the scene fast forwards to present (which just now they didn't really mention whether it was a flashback or not). The same girl (in current time) is in a hypnotherapy session with a psychiatrist, in a clinic. Shes actually telling the entire Titanic scene suicide under hypnosis. Obviously, this got me intrigued. 

Well, eventually the story unfolded and I'll provide a summary. Apparently since Burma, the couple have actually been reincarnated multiple times. However, in every generation, everybody's role is mixed up. Which means, in this life if Mr.X is her father, in the next generation, he will be in her life, but not necessarily her father. So in every generation of the couple's reincarnation, there's always a villain to stop them from actually being together, and most of it ends up with them committing suicide or being killed. So basically, the couple is actually fighting to be with each other.

What was the trigger to all this? The current time, the couple (they haven't actually got together yet) is working in a video game production company. The boss of the company (the villain now), uses a psychiatrist to induce imagination of young adults through psychotropic drugs (I think I saw Dopamine? I'm not too sure either. Pretty sure I saw ----amine). But this drug abuse got out of control. One of their colleagues had severe hallucinations and jumped off the window. The main actress however, due to the drugs, had recollections of her previous lives. The psychiatrist used regression therapy. Well, in real life, regression therapy is supposed to rekindle childhood traumas. There has been hypotheses that everything is actually recorded as a memory, so theoretically regression therapy can actually be used to trace back all the way to the birth canal. However, in this movie - she had the ability to see her previous lives. 

The conflict of the movie? In every generation, everyone dies. So when everyone is reborn, no one remembers anything. However, this time, there was an overlap. The previous villain, didn't die yet, but they were already reborn, and working for him in his company. For obvious love triangle reasons, he tries to kill them again, but this time nature itself killed the villain. So the reincarnation loop ended, and the couple finally gets to be together. I shall not describe the kill scene, because when put in text it seems weird. Watch it if you want. Hahaha.

The plot was really neat, and I really like neatness. If you want to direct complex plots like Inception, Memento, or Primer - you better be Nolan, Chan-Wook, Lynch or something. If you realize you are not, go with a neat plot. Its not easy to direct a reincarnation plot, if you mess it up, the whole movie is doomed. This was done really neat and tidy. The songs for the movie was nothing much, they could have come up with more emotionally songs that could have associated better with the overall mood of the movie, but I'm okay with whatever they offered. One other thing, that I found cute in the movie was (weirdly), in every different generation, the person that fell in love first was her, but the person that chased first was switched everytime. Hahahahaha! Kinda cute, I have no idea why. In Burma she chased him. In Madras, he chased her. Altogether, it took them four generations to finally be together. Another point to note was, they did not describe all four, they only described three of them, and only two was in full detail. Which made me love the movie even more, because they understood that 'less is more'. When people get the point of reincarnation and how it works already, don't push further thinking that viewers wont understand. Well, we do - thank you. 

At no point, I found the movie boring, I didn't feel the time passing. However, I shall not be bias. I shall still mention the weak point. Of course it would be the fighting scenes. Cmon tamil movies, either remove fight scenes, or get better at it. Tbh, I don't mind fighting scenes. Even Batman fights, but when he does it, he does it with much swag. Nolan actually takes the trouble to study punch moves and Bale actually trained a lot for them. Tamil movies always make the hero of the movie - fight like a superhuman - although he is obviously not. You can either make brilliant escapes when the bad guy comes, or you can fight stylishly. I rather see a cool fight - a really tough and violent one, rather than a lame one. Anyway, while you were lamely fighting, I had time to discuss the plot with my sister, so yea it was okay too. Hahahahaha! Overall, I enjoyed the movie. See ya!


No comments:

Post a Comment